Homeschoolers in the Klang Valley who are using the popular SONLIGHT Curriculum are planning for a meet-up late September, after Hari Raya. More than 10 families have expressed an interest in the meeting.
If you are educating your children using SONLIGHT and wish to meet with other Sonlighters, please get in touch with Steven & Lily Wong. They can be reached at: stlywong(at)gmail.com
Please can in touch to confirm date and time and venue. Thanks!
PHYSICS BOOKS FOR SALE
SELLER: Balakrishna Pillai (14 yrs old)
WHERE: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
EMAIL: balakrishnapillaim (at)gmail.com
Please note that titles are in BOLD, authors in (brackets), and italics describe the book’s condition. Not every title comes with complete details. Please contact the seller to confirm prices, and delivery arrangements or charges (if any)
1. Cartoon Guide to Statistics Harper Perennial (Larry Gonick and Woollcott Smith) S$ 25 good
2. STPM Physics Volume 2 Pelangi Publications (Poh Liong Yong) RM 33.95 unused
3. STPM and Pre-U: Organic and Inorganic Chemistry The Complete text and guide with CD Arah Pendidikan Sdn Bhd (Peter Yip) RM 39.95 unused
4. STPM and Pre-U: Physics 1 The Complete text and guide with CD Arah Pendidikan Sdn Bhd (Leong Yee Pak
Loo Wan Yong) RM39.95 unused
5. Question Bank Series (Chemistry) for Year 12 Tata McGraw-Hill (Prem Dhawan and Vandana Dhawan)
225 rupees unused
6. Question Bank Series (Physics) for Year 11 Tata McGraw-Hill (Prem Dhawan and Vandana Dhawan)
200 rupees unused
7. Question Bank Series (Biology) for Year 11 Tata McGraw-Hill (Prem Dhawan and Vandana Dhawan)
200 rupees unused
8. Question Bank Series (science and technology) for Year 10 Tata McGraw-Hill (Prem Dhawan and Vandana Dhawan) 200 rupees unused
9. Trigonometry the easy way Barron’s 3rd Edition US$14.95 Well thumbed through and worked on in parts. Favorite text since 7 yrs old
10. Algebra the easy way Barron’s 3rd Edition US$12.95 Well thumbed through. Favorite text since 7 yrs old
11. Calculus the easy way Barron’s 3rd Edition US$13.95 Well thumbed through. Favorite text since 7 yrs old
12. Fractals, googols and other mathematical tales Wide world publishing/tetra ( Theoni Pappas) RM40.00 Excellent
13. Chemistry for you (revised national curriculum edition for GCSE) Nelson Thornes (Lawrie Ryan) S$30.80 Excellent
14. Biology for you (revised national curriculum edition for GCSE) Nelson Thornes (Gareth Williams) S$30.80 Excellent
15. New Zealand Pathfinder Series- self study guides science Book B Years 9 and 10 (George Hook) NZ$29.95 Excellent
16. The Cartoon Guide to Genetics Harper Perennial (Larry Gonick and Mark Wheelis) S$20.60 Excellent
17. The Cartoon Guide to the Environment Harper Perennial (Larry Gonick and Alice Outwater) S$19.57 Excellent
18. The Inventa Book of Mechanisms Valiant Technology Publication (Dave Catlin) Good
19. Math magic for your kids Harper Perennial (Scott Flansburg) S$ 19.99 Good
20. Effective Guide to ‘O’ level elementary mathematics Longman (Lydia Lim) S$8.30 Excellent
21. Excellence in Maths 2 for secondary students Phoenix Education (George Fisher) NZ$18.95 Some working done in book. Otherwise good
22. Effective Guide to “O” level Additional Mathematics Longman (Ong Bee Hoo) S$10.00 Excellent
23. Science in Focus. Physics for GCE “O” level Longman (Loo Wan Yong, loo Kwok Wai, See Toh Weng Fong) S$ Excellent
24. Chemistry- a course for “O” level Federal (Christopher N Prescott) Excellent
25. AS and A level Chemistry through diagrams Oxford University Press (Michael Lewis) £9.99 Excellent
26. GCSE Mathematics Practce exam Papers Intermediate Tier Coordination Group Publications RM 29.99 Excellent (unused)
27. Chemistry Coordinated science Series Cambridge University Press (Mary Jones, Geoff Jones and David Acaster) Rs 195 Good
28. Physics Coordinated science Series Cambridge University Press (Mary Jones, Geoff Jones and Philip Marchington) Rs 195 Good
29. Biology Facts and Practice for A level Oxford (Adam Johnstone) NZ Some exercises done in pencil. Generally good condition
30. Year 13 Biology Workbook Pearson NZ Some exercises done in pencil. Generally good condition
31. Astronomy for all ages The Globe Pequot Press (Philip Harrington and Edward Pascuzzi) US$19.95 Mint condition
32. Understanding science Federal Publications (Dr Anju Goel) S$24 excellent
33. O Level Additional Mathematics Topical Questions with answers 1986-2000 Dyna Publishing (G. C. Hoo) S$3.80 Excellent
34. The Primary Mathematics Handbook Horwitz Publications (Harry O’Brien, Greg Purcell) A$6.94 Excellent
35. Creative thinking in Mathematics EPH (James Gan) S$5.97 Some exercises done in pencil. Generally good condition
36. Pass With Distinction- Elementary Mathematics Shing Lee Publishers (Teh Keng Seng, Looi Chin Keong) S$ Excellent
37. O level Mathematics ‘D’ Past examination Questions (EB Publications S$7.21 Excellent
Note: Books 39-52 constitute the entire textbook requirements for University Malaya’s Physics undergraduate degree with concentration in Nuclear Physics. Do not buy any of these unless you or the person you intend to give the book to has knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts including Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus, and can take the dot product of 2 nondeterminant Dirac eigenvectors in an n dimensional vector space. Do not even look at the books unless you can understand this paragraph.
38. Engineering Circuit Analysis McGraw-Hill (William H. Hayt, Jr., Jack E. Kemmerly) 22 years old, excellent condition
39. Geometry Allyn and Bacon (Irene Fischer, Dunstan Hayden) 44 years old (!), excellent condition
40. Concepts of Nuclear Physics McGraw-Hill (Bernard L. Cohen) 27 years old, excellent condition
41. Introductory Nuclear Physics Wiley Publishing Company (Kenneth S. Krane) 22 years old, excellent condition
42. Introduction to solid state physics Wiley Publications (Charles Kittle) 22 years old, excellent condition
43. Theory and problems of electric circuits MacGraw Hill (Joseph Edminister) Old but excellent condition
44. Theory and problems of Applied Physics MacGraw Hill (Arthur Beiser) Old but excellent condition
45. Theory and problems of Electromagnetics MacGraw Hill (Joseph Edminister) Old but excellent condition
46. Theory and problems of Modern Physics MacGraw Hill (Ronald Gautreau and William Savin) Old but excellent condition
47. Radiation Research an International Journal Academic Press
48. College Physics Beyer and Williams Old but excellent condition
49. St Venant’s Theory applied to Torsion of Anisotropic Bodies – a physicist’s approach Old but good condition
50. Astronomy Merrill physical science series E.G. Ebbighausen Good condition
51. Graphic problems in Physics Adams Fraser Good condition
52. 1991 edition GCE A level Physics questions and model answers 1985-1990 Study Aids Publications 18 years old, some pencil and pen notes in margin, otherwise excellent condition
53. Advanced Level Physics Heinemann (Michael Nelkon, Phillip Parker) 22 years old, some pencil and pen notes in margin, otherwise excellent condition
54. Ace your science Secondary 1 Topical revision Greenleaf Publications (Ivy Tan) S$6.49 Excellent condition
55. Biology Year by Year questions with answers GCE O level 1986-2003 S$8.40 Excellent condition
56. Biology for life for GCSE (MBV Roberts) RM 2.00 Old book
57. Physics for you Revised National Curriculum Edition for GCSE Nelson Thornes (Keith Johnson) S$30.80 Good condition.
58. Interactive Science ¾ Normal (Technical)- Core Pan Pacific (Tho Lai Hoong and Goh Ngoh Khang) Good condition
59. Official National test papers KS3 Mathematics Age 13-14 RM59.99 Mint condition
60. MacMillan Visual Dictionary MacMillan RM100.00 Well thumbed through. Balakrishna’s bible between ages 2 to 4
61. Artificial Intelligence- Robotics and machine evolution Silverdale (David Jefferis) RM14.90 Mint condition
62. The young scientist investigates Structures Oxford (Terry Jennings) RM8.95 Excellent condition
63. Ancient Times Zigzag multimedia (Richard Tames) Good condition – minus CD
64. Word Puzzles 3-4 milliken RM13.90 Only 1 page done and that too done by mother!
65. Ancient Cultures: Indian Gods and Myths Grange Books Bought in 2000. Good condition
66. Electrowizard Inventions Penny Norman - minus the kit
67. At home with science 2 National curriculum ages 5-7 Oxford Only 2-3 exercises done in pencil.
68. The human body Horus editions (Mark Crocker) S$7.90 Good condition
69. Project Science Sound and Music Franklin Watts (Alan Ward) $5.00 Excellent condition
70. Make it work – photography - The hands on approach to science Action Publishing (Kathryn Senior) RM19.90 Excellent condition
71. Science Activities – Meteorology Wayland (Graham Peacock) RM13.90 Excellent condition
72. Science Activities – Geology Wayland (Graham Peacock and Jill Jesson) RM13.90 Excellent condition
73. First picture science Plants and Animals Times (Keith and Lyn Solomon) RM8.90 Good condition
74. Healing the Land Childrens Press (Terry Willis) Good condition
75. Factfinders Inventions Zig zag multimedia Good condition – minus CD
76. Lure of Steam Fraser Stewart (Eric Treacy) Good condition
77. Physics today magazines 1999-2003 (32 magazines) Good condition
Be treated to a touch of history spanning over 5,000 years through the Dead Sea Scrolls and The Ancient World exhibition at The Arts House, Singapore. More than 100 artefacts will be featured in the exhibition — a first in Asia.
The exhibition includes four fragments of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the oldest—known Hebrew manuscripts of the bible.
Also on display is the Lunar Bible, so called because it is the first bible to be taken to the moon. Visitors will also be treated to one of the earliest forms of written expression via clay cuneiform tablets. They can also view the names of Polish Jews who survived the Nazi occupation through a Holocaust Survivor Scroll.
The Dead Sea Scrolls and The Ancient World exhibition opens 27 August and will run till September 20.
A friendly reminder that the earlybird registration deadline (Aug 31) for the Sept 26 seminar is approaching…..
Following are a few comments from parents who attended the Character Family Seminar held earlier on June 20th :
“Very good. Can’t wait to put what I learnt into practice.”
“Very structured, concise and clear. Very good.”
“Very good. I’m suddenly aware that having a parent-centered family is so important for my child.”
“A very useful session. Training materials cover the topic well.”
“Insightful. Enlightening. Relevant”
This half-day seminar (Sat, Sept 26 at 2pm) is targeted at parents with children who are 12 years old and under, because this is the period where leadership (not friendship) is needed the most! Much of the rebelliousness and waywardness of the teen years can be traced back to a lack of leadership from parents during the primary years. There is ample Q&A time for your questions and issues to be addressed and the format of the seminar is such that discussion and interaction is key to the learning process.
Furthermore, you will receive a hardcover manual (full color) detailing out 49 definitive traits that you can use in the building of good character at home.
Save 20% when you sign up before the end of this month. Guess what, spouse comes for FREE!
Download the brochure/registration form here.
WORKSHOP: HELPING YOUR CHILD SUCCEED
September 13, 2009: (11am – 4pm),
Venue: Lakeview Club, Subang Jaya
Conducted by Chong Wai Leng (Author of “Learning Beyond Schooling” and “Life after Babies”, homeschooling parent, writer, speaker, and a very concerned mother) & Sloane Mak (teacher, founder of “Asians for English”, homeschooling parent, very concerned parent) who tries hard to make changes to their lives and the lives of their children and their future.
This workshop is aimed at helping your child get to the heart of learning through demystifying the learning process. In this workshop, participants will learn:
- How to understand you child’s learning style
- Identifying and empowering values
- Acquiring the skills to help your children learn
- Discover the confidence of being the best teacher for your children
Registration Now Open.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your
FULL NAME, CONTACT NO (MOBILE), EMAIL & NO OF PAX COMING, Details of payment and participation will be send to you.
Charges: RM 95 /participant (inclusive of tea, lunch and materials). Limited space only. Sliding scale is available for who require them. Please write in separately.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND PROGRAMME DETAILS, PLEASE VISIT LEARNINGBEYONDSCHOOLING
Come join us for the inaugural World Changers Academy (WCA) this September- a leadership conference that seeks to inspire a new generation of people who not only have great skills but also have a great and influential spirit!
Our speakers, Datuk Tony Tiah (Founder Chairman, TA Enterprise Bhd) & Datuk Edward Ong (President, Sutera Harbour Resort), will share their stories – both the ups and downs – the miracles as well as the mistakes, in tandem with the application of God’s kingdom principles that have made them so blessed and successful in their business.
You’ll learn values and principles that are not found in books or taught by academicians, but can only be caught from such real, relevant and radical lives!
Don’t miss out on this!
Registration fee* (inclusive of supper, morning tea & lunch): RM30 per person
*Fee is heavily subsidized in support of our commitment to community development and our desire to see more people come and be blessed!
Date: 11 & 12 September 2009 (Friday & Saturday)
Time: Friday @ 8.30pm, Saturday @ 9.00am
Venue: ACTS Church, 2nd floor Summit Hotel USJ (entrance via hotel car park lifts)
To register or for more information:
1) Email us: email@example.com
2) Call us during office working hours: 03-5637 8737, 5636 2147
The registration deadline is 23 August 2009 (Sunday). Don’t hesitate, sign up today!
Check out the awesome promo video on YouTube.
Have a great day, and be a world changer!!
The Kingdom Ventures team
BASIC OUTDOOR INSTRUCTOR COURSE (BOIC)
MAPs (Ministering through Adventure Programmes) is pleased to announce our upcoming Leadership Program in September 2009. We have just finished one in Penang and some of you were there. It was absolutely inspiring and great fun!If you missed the one in Penang, come and join us in the next program in Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru following are the details:
Starting: 9.00 am Thursday 24th September 2009
Ending: 6.00pm Friday 25th September 2009
Venue: MAPs Centre, Desa Harmoni, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Activities: Adventure games, Mountain Biking, Canoe, Overnight Camping
Cost: RM100.00 (including food, accommodation and equipment. Exclude transport)
Starting: 9.00am Saturday 26th September 2009
Ending: 6.00pm Sunday 27th September 2009
Venue: Forest Research Institution Malaysia (FRIM), Kepong, Selangor, Malaysia
Activities: Mountain biking, ropes course, orienteering, adventure games, solo hour
Cost: RM100.00 (including food, accommodation and equipment. Exclude transport)
Requirements to join the BOIC
MAPs (Ministering through Adventure Programmes) is a Christian Ministry that uses adventure activities as a tool to share the gospel of salvation of Jesus Christ to students and youths. We are an inter-denominational Christian organisation and partners with various Christian churches in our endeavour. As part of our endeavour to introduce the concept of using outdoor adventure activities, to reach young people for Jesus, our effort includes running courses for Christians who are:
- Born again
- Have passion for the lives of students/youths and above 18 years old
- Loves the outdoors and not afraid of the challenges that comes with it
- Teachable and ready for a new experience
If this notice is relevant to your friends, relatives, family members, colleagues, church members, please forward this invite to them. I am sure it will definitely bless them!!
For your information, we also organise programs for groups of 10 – 25 persons at a date convenient to you. Just send me an email and I would be pleased to give you all the necessary details. Do visit our sites
Kind regards & God bless,
MAPs Adventure Ministry
(Ministering through Adventure Programmes)
Mobile: +6012 737 9477